Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Earlier this summer we had decided, even though for the first time we both actually had paid vacations, we would spend that time here in KC, chipping away at our ever-growing list of open projects at the Honse homestead. While in many ways it would be nice to have had some more extended and focused time to work on some of these projects, I think deep down inside we both knew that we needed a break from those very same things! Our list is going to ebb and flow, but it is not going to ever be finished, so if we’re waiting until it is, we’ll never leave the house. So, we put that list aside and made a new one of places we could go and how we planned to pull it off.

I am serious about making a list. Trinity has been a list maker for as long as I’ve known her, and in fact it was probably the first thing she did when she learned to write! And now she’s got me doing it. Every time we start to talk about something I say, “Let’s make a list.” I do it mostly because I have a horrible memory for details, and I think we both think pretty visually, so if we don’t see it with our eyes it doesn’t really click in our brains. So, our camping road trip started with a list, specifically, a Google Doc list so we could both edit it and access it from our computers since most of our research was being done online, only during lunch break at work of course.

Years ago when Trinity and I were just dating, I went to the Grand Canyon on a long road trip with Justin Gross and, you know, I was so enamored and in love (talk about sappy!) that the whole time I was thinking that I wished Trinity was there to see this amazing place with me. (I am happy to report I still feel that way. It is rarer that I take a trip like that without her anymore, but in Honduras in January I wished many times that she was sharing the experience.) So while I was at the Grand Canyon, I bought Trinity a little map/log book about the National Parks and said I wanted us to go visit as many of them as we could together and fill out this log of our journey. Trinity’s AH intern Kari suggested that we check out Arches National Park, and I am so glad she did. It was the perfect place to begin our journey of visiting the National Parks, and it is close enough to Canyonlands National Park that we could start off by visiting too parks in one trip.

As we made our list, we decided that a big part of this getaway would be an exercise in patience, flexibility, and not having too much of a plan. We mapped out our driving route and researched a few different camping options along the way, but we didn’t make any reservations or plan to push our driving time too far. It’s about a 14 hour drive, which splits nicely into a two day drive at a pretty leisurely pace.

The original plan was to leave on Wednesday, but as we sat at work on Monday with half of the stuff packed already and the Wild West calling our names, we decided we couldn’t make it through another day at our desks, so we finished packing Monday night and went to bed excited about heading out early. We woke up and some ridiculous time like 4:30am and tossed and turned, trying to get back to sleep. Finally around 5:30 or 6 we gave up and decided we might as well just get going. Our first opportunity to be flexible and have fun doing it!

0 comments: