Monday, August 03, 2009

Renewal, Utah

Monday, August 3, 2009 (Trinity is 26, Tim is 28)


You might not think of the desert as a place of great renewal – windy sandstorms; twisted gnarly juniper trees; prickly cacti; scorpions and rattlesnakes – but that is exactly what the canyons and mesas of the eastern Utah desert was for Trinity and I last week: Renewal.

We had no idea how much we needed this retreat when we began talking about a road trip just a week or two before leaving. Sure, vacations are nice, and we got excited planning where we would camp out and what sites we would see, but before long this quickly planned vacation became for us so much more than that. I am not sure how well either of us can describe the depth of our experience, we’ve already had a hard time telling others about it, but I need to write about this for myself, and so, since I am putting it on (digital) paper, I figure I will share it too.

Part of what made the experience so momentous for us was that we read The Time Traveler’s Wife together during the trip. We have enjoyed reading together, and/or listening to audiobooks, since our long drives back and forth from Georgia to Missouri to visit family when we lived in Atlanta, so as soon as we began planning the trip, one of our questions was, what will we read together? I’m sure I will say much more about this beautiful story later, but for now, an introduction:

I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, but the thing that got me interested in this wonderful book was seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation. I had judgmentally (and wrongly) assumed negative things about the sappy romantic nature of the book when Trinity had picked up a copy of it at a rummage sale, but the movie trailer made me rethink the book. The book is certainly romantic, but not even remotely sappy. It is romantic in a genuine and profound way, at least to me as I have experienced life and love.

Another way I would describe the book, which is what got me interested, is subtle science fiction. Again, not hokey sci-fi, but natural, believable, lifelike, and extremely intelligent. The characters inhabit a world only slightly different from our own (in which one of the main characters is plagued with chrono-displacement, or uncontrollable time travel), but the book is actually a timeless story about the people who live in this world, their relationship, personal journeys and struggles, love and commitment. It is a deep and moving story that I have been thinking of since we read the last page in eastern Colorado on the way back on Saturday. Something about the combination of being on the open road, and then the spacious and awesome Utah desert, without a schedule, just the two of us, at this present moment in our relationship and individual lives, made this story reach inside of us and grip us in a way neither of us have experienced for a long, long time. We are so thankful, and almost speechless about it.

Reading this sweeping life story of these two best friends and lovers has reminded me how much I love to write and tell stories, and so I am inspired to record this incredibly meaningful and reviving road trip to Utah. This week as we get back to work and routines and slowly unpack the mound of campfire scented supplies, air out the tent and sleeping bags, and sweep the left over terracotta colored sand from the living room floor, I need to do the same kind of careful unpacking of our experience. This is it.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Fantastic book! I've actually been in the same room as the author. I was too intimidated to talk to her, so I just stared (creepy, huh?). She was one of Matt's professors at Columbia College in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Susan and Cheryl Hubbs both have summer homes in Utah. Next time you can camp in Panguitch. Cherly and her husband spent last week wandering through Colorado. We spent four days in Utah at the end of June before Roy and Sue drove to St. Louis. Barb